Official Website of Author Jason Beymer

Rogue's Curse and Nether available in all e-formats

Thursday, August 5, 2010

101-Word Stupor -- The Rat

Keywords: Umbrella, Inebriated, Carousel

It hides beneath the carousel, beneath the motorized whir of circular steeds. Its beady eyes blink into the rain beyond. Thunder rumbles; the children scatter. It sticks out its head and sniffs the electric twilight, whiskers dancing. Then it emerges, skitters past a fallen umbrella, through the moonlit fairgrounds, and into a downed garbage can. Soon it's inebriated from the stale beer left sitting in discarded carnival cups. A predatory rumble fills its chest.  The world fades and it regrets every loss: its wife, its home, its job, its children. A rat crawls over its blank face and finishes the beer. 

Preview for tomorrow: Ink, Hamburger, Koala

2 comments:

  1. PRETTY PRANCING PONIES

    When she asked me to dance, I immediately refused. My eyes shifted towards the floor. I stared at my gorgeous Manolos. Ooh, is that a scuffmark? I shuffled my feet. Admired my new pedicure. Then tossed my hair in that open invitation way that all girly-girls seem to know from birth…or three, when your locks are actually tossable. But when I looked up again, she was already walking away, making her way to the next pretty pony on the carousel. And they glided onto the dancefloor, circling the room in inebriated waves and swirls, like Chinatown umbrellas. And I couldn’t breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sentence: "And they glided onto the dancefloor, circling the room in inebriated waves and swirls, like Chinatown umbrellas." Awesome.

    ReplyDelete